Why do you need a CMS?
Main goals of business are to make profit through the sale of goods and services. In today’s digital age, it is vital to have a modern, informative company website with quality and attractive content in order to draw and retain maximum number of customers. Texts, images, videos and graphics not only provide additional value to the resource for users, but also stand out positively for search engines. First you need to create content, then publish it properly, and then manage, update and distribute it on the Internet. In addition to fashionable design and well-thought-out promotion methods, professional sites include solid set of features. Regardless of size of the website, this is a time-consuming task that is implemented with the help of content management system (CMS).
CMS is software that helps you create, update, change and manage all the content on website, whether it’s a simple blog or a complex page filled with information about your company and interactive visual content for customers. Actually CMS is the engine that powers a website, a toolbox program that allows you to create and publish website content, edit design, monitor and manage content.
CMS optimizes work with the site, provides public access if necessary to simplify the work process, ensures data security. To form site with a serious set of possibilities, any developer or WEB studio simply cannot do without using a CMS. According to statistics more than half of the websites on the Internet use a CMS.
Advantages of CMS:
- you can create a site yourself and in a short time;
- no need to understand design and programming;
- website development will cost less;
- convenient to manage the content of the site.
Precautions when running CMS:
- you should monitor the update and compatibility of new versions with add-ons;
- performance usually decreases if the site has a lot of add-ons;
- not all functionality can be implemented;
- not suitable for unusual tasks.
CMS ranking in 2022
To correctly decide on a CMS, you should focus on popular engines, because they have the largest number of modules and extensions at their disposal.
There are several sites that keep statistics on the use of CMS in the world: W3Techs, WhatCMS and BuiltWith. The data on each of these sites is slightly different, but on all of them, WordPress wins by a huge margin. According to various data, from 30% to 40% of all sites that use CMS work on this engine.
Thanks to the calculations of statistical sites, we have the following CMS rating in 2022:
- WordPress – leading by a huge margin!
- Magento (eCommerce);
- Craft CMS.
It is worth paying attention to the leaders of the proposed rating.
- The most famous engine WordPress is perfect for blogging. WordPress was actually the first CMS designed specifically for blogs. It has a simple page layout that consists of 3 main parts: header, footer and main body. It has a built-in navigation system that automatically generates new links when creating new pages. If you need a website but have limited budget and time, WordPress is the right choice. The system installs in a few minutes, then you can immediately start publishing content. By investing a little money in a quality theme, you can quickly achieve a professional look.
- Shopify is the leading e-commerce platform that allows entrepreneurs to create their own online stores. Shopify is easy to use, so you can make your own store even if you don’t have the proper experience. It is ideal for entrepreneurs who want to launch their own online store without any hassle and high financial costs. Shopify works great with any device. This makes it very attractive for those who have a huge budget to spend on a custom design. In addition, Shopify offers a range of designs for complete optimization.
- Wix is one of the pioneers of the no-code visual designer. You can make your own web resource by simply editing blocks. With Wix, you can create a turnkey website. Everything is here – from templates to website hosting. The main feature of Wix is its ease of use. Wix is a complete cloud-based software platform (SaaS). You can use it from any device with an internet connection, and you don’t need to install software on your computer, but Wix is a feature-packed, but far from free service.
- Joomla! much more complex than WordPress, but it benefits from greater scalability and tighter integration. In many ways, the developers created Joomla! for medium to large websites. People really like features such as built-in front-end content editing, content management flexibility and built-in multi-language integration, which makes the content of the sites more friendly to foreign visitors.
- Drupal is a free engine with good performance, able to withstand heavy server loads, flexible enough to implement your own solutions, create original sites, unlike others, but due to the complexity of the settings, it is only suitable for experienced developers.
How to choose the right CMS?
The choice should be based on the type of site, its complexity, audience reach, in order to pick out one that best meets your needs and is better suited for a specific task. When choosing, in addition to rating and popularity, attention should be paid to such details as:
- ability to refine the elements;
- set of features and capabilities;
- convenience of working with titles, meta tags and other details essential for promotion;
- ability to create custom page names and semantic URLs;
- work speed;
- ability to handle errors;
- no duplicate pages;
- sitemap support;
- ease of addition, etc.
We should not forget about performance: it is obvious that a complex and cumbersome paid solution will be superfluous if, for example, it is a simple business card, and in the case of a heavy site with a heavy load, a too weak CMS, on the contrary, may not be able to cope.
The right CMS will allow you to successfully create and promote a site, make it attractive to the client, reliable and working.